These days, golfers have access to technology that makes measuring distances easier than ever before. Two main types of devices have taken over this market, rangefinders and GPS devices. It’s true that some of these devices can come with a hefty price tag, but that doesn’t mean you’re out of the game if you’re low on cash or not ready to make an investment. In this article, we’re going to highlight some of the best budget golf rangefinders available on the market today.
Why Use A Rangefinder?
Rangefinders have changed the way golf is played. In days gone by, players would have to “walk off” their yardages, counting steps from the location of their ball to a distance marker somewhere on the course, such as a sprinkler head. There were a couple of problems with this technique. For one thing, it was only as accurate as the player’s ability to cover exactly one yard with each step. Also, even if you did get an accurate yardage, that number was to the middle of the green. It said nothing about the actual distance to the location of the hole.
With a great golf rangefinder in your bag or cart, however, an accurate yardage will be just a few seconds away. You can simply point the viewfinder at the flag (or another object), press the button, and wait for the yardage to appear. Nearly everyone would agree that golf is a more enjoyable game thanks to what laser rangefinders offer.
How Do Golf Rangefinders Work?
Quite simply, a rangefinder will bounce a laser off of an object, and that laser will return to the device in order to establish a distance measurement. The time it takes for the laser to make the trip is what will be used to calculate the distance you have to the target.
Laser rangefinders are great systems for golf, because you can use that laser to measure just about anything on the course. Sure, you’ll often be measuring the distance to the flag, but there are many other possibilities. For instance, you might measure the face of a bunker to make sure you have enough club to carry the sand safely. Or, you may measure the distance to a tree, so you can be sure to lay up short of the woods. Whatever the case, a great laser rangefinder is a versatile tool that stands to improve your game in a number of ways.
So, let’s get down to finding the best budget golf rangefinder for your bag. Here are a few recommendations:
Bushnell Tour V4 Standard Jolt Golf Laser Rangefinder
If you play a lot of golf, you are sure to see more than a few Bushnell rangefinders out on the course. This is one of the leading brands in the market, and the Tour V4 Standard Jolt is a model worth your consideration.
- Accurate to one yard from distances between 5 - 1,000 yards
- Ergonomic design allows the device to feel comfortable in your hand
- The JOLT technology allows the unit to vibrate quickly when the flag is located
- Thanks to 5x magnification, you’ll have a good view of the area around your target
Leupold GX-1I3 Digital Golf Rangefinder
You may not be as familiar with the name Leupold as some of the other brands included in our list, but this is a quality rangefinder nonetheless. It offers all of the features you would expect to see in this price range, and all the data a golfer needs to take his or her game to new heights.
- 6x magnification allows for an excellent view of the course
- Scan modes allows the player to get live readings while scanning the terrain ahead
- Accurate to within an incredible 1/10 th of a yard
- Fog Mode lets this unit perform when the fog rolls in, which is not something all devices can handle
Callaway 250 Golf Rangefinder
The name Callaway is obviously a giant in the golf world, as they are one of the leading club manufacturers on the planet. It should be no surprise, then, to see that this brand has an entry in the top budget rangefinder market. With an affordable price and solid performance, this is definitely another device to keep in mind.
- Range from 5 - 950 yards, and up to 300 yards to the pin
- Accuracy within one yard
- Capable of measuring in both yards and meters
- Viewfinder offers six-times magnification
Laser Link RH2 Golf Rangefinder
The Laser Link RH2 Golf Rangefinder will immediately stand out from the others on this list for the simple reason that it has a completely different design. You hold a grip that is located well below the viewfinder when using this model, which is not the way the rest are designed to work. Some golfers find this to be a steadier option—and being steady is always a good thing on the course.
- Capable of measuring distances up to 1,000 yards
- Red Dot Aiming System works together with the pistol-shaped grip for impressive accuracy
- Three modes to pick from, based on your preference: audio confirmation, vibrate, and silent
- Measurements accurate to within one yard
Nikon Coolshot 20 Golf Laser Rangefinder
Nikon is a major player in the camera world, but it has also carved out quite a following on the links. The Coolshot 20 golf rangefinder is a reliable performer with enough features to satisfy most players. When you need something that can get the job done at a budget-friendly price, this may just be your best selection.
- 6x magnification through the viewfinder
- Able to measure distances between 6 - 550 yards, with accuracy within one yard
- Each time you press the power button, you will have eight seconds of continuous measurement
- First Target Priority Mode helps you pick out the distance to the flag without being fooled by objects in the distance
Discover More Great Golf Rangefinders
Do you have to carry a rangefinder in your bag to enjoy the game of golf? Of course not. You could opt for a golf GPS unit and have just as much success, or you could stick with the “old school” method. In the end, we think you’ll be impressed with what rangefinders have to offer, especially considering their modest price point.
With so many great golf rangefinders available right here at PlayBetter, there is only one thing left to do—start shopping! We are proud to offer 2-Day Free Shipping and 60-Day Returns on all of our rangefinders.