In this article, we’d like to highlight the best golf GPS watches of 2018. As you will see in the features these watches offer, these devices have come a long way since their first iterations. You can do an incredible number of things with these watches, and each has the potential to help you get more enjoyment out of your time on the links.
The Five Contenders
While there are many great GPS devices on the golf market today, we are going to focus this article on five watches:
If you know anything about golf GPS products, you won’t be surprised to see three Garmin products making the list. Garmin is the leading name in the GPS world, and they are well-known for producing quality products that provide excellent performance over the long run. With that said, the other two watches on our list, one from Golf Buddy and the other from Bushnel, should be no surprise either. These are also strong contenders that are certainly worthy of your consideration as well.
To help you make an appropriate buying decision for your situation, we are going to work through these five options one at a time.
Garmin Approach X40
Hybrid Golf GPS & Activity Tracker
We’ll get started with one of the three models from Garmin included in this article. The Garmin Approach X40 is a compelling option because of its ability to perform for you both on and off the golf course. On the course, it provides you with all of the standard GPS information you would expect to find. Away from the links, it can be used as an activity tracker to help you reach your fitness goals. And, thanks to a sleek design, you will be proud to wear this device in all walks of your life.
- More than 40,000 courses pre-loaded
- Heart rate monitor included in the device
- Can track a variety of stats such as calories burned, steps, sleep, and more
- Numerous colors available
- Receive notifications from your smartphone
Golf & Everyday Lifestyle Smartwatch
For a watch that does everything well and offers a modest price point at the same time, you’ll want to consider the Golf Buddy WTX+. With a classic watch shape and a water-resistant design, this is a watch you won’t feel the need to take off immediately when you are done with a round of golf. The fact that this watch can serve you well in your regular life is a big selling point—along with its ample capabilities on the course.
- More than 38,000 courses loaded, free updates included
- Dynamic green view gives you a clear understanding of your yardages
- Li-Ion battery runs for up to 8 hours in GPS mode
- Pedometer included for activity tracking
- Automatic course and hole recognition
- Fast touch user interface
- Sleek, lightweight design
Garmin Approach S20
Best Value Golf GPS Watch
The competition is stiff, but we consider this to be the best golf GPS watch for the money in 2018. With a price that typically comes in under $200, you’ll still get a golf watch with most of the bells and whistles of higher-priced models. This is a watch that is not going to hold you back on the course, meaning it provides all the information you need to make smart decisions and confident swings. This is plenty of watch for the serious golfer, and it is also easy enough to use for the player just getting started in the game. To get great value for your money, the Garmin Approach S20 is an excellent way to go.
- Over 40,000 courses preloaded internationally, with free updates
- AutoShot Round Analyzer uses auto-recording to measure shot distances
- Hazard and course targeting makes it easy to understand the layout of the course
- Waterproof up to 50m
- GreenView and AutoShot advancing
- Compatible with Garmin Connect
- Four colors offered
Bushnell iON 2
Best Budget Golf GPS Watch
To be sure, Bushnell is a brand that is better known in the golf world for their laser rangefinders . That being the case, this is still a company with a reputation for producing quality products, and their GPS offerings are certainly worth a look. With a modest price point for a device still packed with all the information you need, we consider the Bushnell iON 2 the best budget golf GPS watch of 2018.
- More than 30,000 courses loaded on device
- Calculate the distance of your shots
- Front, middle, and back yardages
- Legal for tournament play
- Auto hole advance and course recognition
- Pocket sized design
Garmin Approach S60
Best Golf Watch All-Around
We stated above that we feel the Approach S20 is the best golf GPS for the money in 2018. But what about the best device overall, regardless of price? That distinction would go to the Approach S60, hands down. This is simply a higher-end model that includes a variety of extra features. Yes, you’ll pay a higher price for the S60, but you may decide that it’s worth it when you consider what all you stand to gain. If you want what is simply one of the best golf GPS products on the market today, the Approach S60 should be near the top of your list.
- Over 40,000 courses with pinpoint GPS accuracy
- Front, Middle, Back distances
- 1.2’’ full-color touchscreen display
- Highest resolution of these options, at 240 x 240 px
- A full range of activity profiles for golf, running, cycling, swimming, skiing and more
- Vibrating smartphone notifications
- QuickFit Bands can be easily interchanged to alter the look of the watch
- Elevation distance adjustments with PlaysLike Distance feature
- Up to 10 hours in GPS mode, 10 days in Smartwatch mode
Available at PlayBetter for $399.99For a more in-depth look at the differences in the Garmin Approach series, including a convenient feature comparison chart, check out our blog post about the S10, S20 and S60!
Discover More Great GPS Watches
For even more great golf GPS watches, shop the full collection at PlayBetter ! With top-notch customer service and excellent prices, we are the perfect supplier for your golf technology needs. Enjoy Free 2-Day Shipping and 60-Day Returns on all GPS watch orders.