Garmin Alpha 100 vs 200i Dog GPS Tracker/Trainer Comparison | With TT 15X and T 5X Garmin Dog Collars
Whether you're hunting or training—or both—find the best tools for managing your dogs in this Garmin Alpha 100 vs 200i comparison. In 2014, Garmin partnered with Tri-Tronics® to bring the first Alpha GPS track and train system for sporting dogs. Then in 2020, after asking their customer base of outdoor enthusiasts how they could make this dog tracking and training system even better, Garmin released the Alpha 200i with inReach capability and pretty much enhanced everything! In order to help you decide if the Alpha 100 multi-dog tracker and trainer is enough for you, or if you should pay more for the more advanced yet easier-to-use Alpha 200i, we created this comparison. And we're also breaking down the difference between the TT 15 and T 5 Garmin dog collars that are used along with the Alpha handhelds to track and train your dogs.
Short on Time? Jump to the PlayBetter Bottom Line on the Garmin Alpha 100 vs the Alpha 200i
The Garmin Alpha 100
Your All-in-One Multi-Dog Tracking GPS and Remote Training Device
Keep Tabs on Your Party or Pack!
Track up to 20 dogs or hunting buddies from up to 9 miles (TT 15) or 4 miles (TT 15 mini) away
Customize Your Dog Training!
Get 18 training levels of continuous and momentary stimulation (when paired with the TT15 Garmin dog collars).
Tone and Vibration Options for Training!
Choose from an audible tone or a vibration to train your dogs according to what is best for their temperament.
Know Your Surroundings!
The Alpha 100 dog tracking and training system comes preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100K maps.
Know Your Dogs!
Measure each dog’s speed, distance, and the direction being traveled.
Hunt and Train Longer!
The Garmin Alpha 100 dog GPS tracker and trainer provides up to 20 hours of battery life.
The Garmin Alpha 100 Multi-Dog GPS Tracker and Trainer
GPS Tracking with Built-in Topo Maps from Garmin and Proven Electronic Correction from Tri-Tronics
Track and train as many as 20 dogs up to nine miles away with the Garmin Alpha 100 handheld. With this multi-dog tracking and training system you get:
- Location updates as often as every 2.5 seconds.
- A three-inch, glove-friendly touchscreen display that’s easy to view in bright sunlight.
- A touchscreen that allows you to customize your setup and displays only relevant information.
- A“buddy tracker” function, allowing a party of hunters each carrying an Alpha 100 GPS handheld to track not only their dogs, but other Alpha users – any combination of up to 20 dogs and hunters.
- Send and receive pre-selected messages in the field to other Alpha user—phrases like “help,” “come here,” or “go on without me”.
- The ability to follow your dogs and buddies on the Dog Tracker Page, which depicts a familiar three-axis compass, with color-coded arrows that indicate the direction and distance of each dog.
- An audible or vibration alert when a dog trees quarry or goes on point.
- A Map Page and 100k preloaded topo maps, so hunters will always know what sort of geographical features (including ravines, rivers, and roads) are nearby.
- Compatibility with other maps, like BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (sold separately).
- Set up a customized radius or geofence alerts to notify you if your dog has entered or exited a pre-determined area.
- Three configurable buttons that you can set to virtually any combination and level of continuous correction, momentary correction, or tone.
- Set up different stimulation levels for each dog, and control them all from a single handheld.
- When a correction is made, a menu automatically appears so you can quickly choose from 18 intensity levels on the fly.
- Straight out of the box, the unit’s stimulation settings are configured in 18 levels of linear stimulation.
- Set the Alpha to emulate traditional Tri-Tronics six levels of low, medium, and high correction.
- Bundle the Alpha 100 handheld with the TT15 Garmin dog collar for tracking and training.
The Alpha 100 handheld is powered by a replaceable lithium-ion rechargeable battery that’s capable of up to 20 hours of battery life, and it’s waterproof to IPX-7 standards.
The Garmin Alpha 200i
Your Multi-Dog Tracker and Trainer with inReach® Satellite Communication
A Larger 3.5" Sunlight-Readable Screen!
The Alpha 200i hunting dog system is designed to help make tracking and training simple, accessible and fast.
Track and Train Your Pack!
Monitor up to 20 dogs from up to 9 miles (depending on dog collar) with a 2.5-second update rate.
Keep Dog Info and Stats!
Keep inactive dogs in your Garmin Alpha 200i system for easier setup and management.
Get inReach Satellite Communication!
inReach technology helps you keep loved ones updated when cellphones can’t (active satellite subscription required).
Know Where You Are with TopoActive Mapping!
Navigate every hunt with the best in Garmin mapping and sensors.
Track & Train Longer!
Your Alpha 200i user-replaceable battery lasts up to 20 hours; up to 15 hours with inReach technology enabled.
The Enhanced Garmin Alpha 200i Multi-Dog System
with inReach Capability
Track and train as many as 20 dogs up to nine miles away with the Garmin Alpha 200i GPS handheld. AND get enhanced mapping, easier operation, and more safety in the field with inReach satellite communication (requires subscription). With this advanced multi-dog tracking and training system you get:
- A larger, 3.5”, sunlight-readable capacitive touchscreen display for increased visibility in all conditions.
- Configure your setup to specific hunt application needs while displaying only the relevant information necessary to accomplish a task.
- Easily customize tracking and/or training functions through the handheld’s button operation, which allows for fast dog training cues and minor adjustments.
- The new “quick key” functionality on the handheld allows you to easily and quickly access the most important field applications based on your hunting preferences, including dog list/group management, TopoActive terrain maps to determine best hunt routes, dog training and tracking data to help keep dogs safe and moving in the right direction, or important waypoint locations for efficient and effective in-field time management.
- Multi-GNSS support and enhanced mapping systems in your Alpha 200i give you the ability to always know exactly where the hunt takes you.
- A multi-GNSS satellite network that uses more satellites than traditional GPS alone for better tracking in challenging environments.
- Preloaded Garmin TopoActive mapping and direct-to-device BirdsEye Satellite Imagery.
- Connect the Alpha 200i to a Wi-Fi® network and download BirdsEye Satellite Imagery directly to your device for a detailed landscape view of a region or use a compatible Garmin HuntView card (sold separately in U.S. or France markets) for a more detailed landscape overview.
- The confidence of knowing Alpha 200i gives a new level of peace of mind and global communication coverage through inReach satellite technology. With the 100 percent global Iridium® satellite network, you can send and receive messages, navigate your route, track and share your hunt, and if necessary, trigger an SOS to get help from a 24/7 global emergency response coordination center—directly from the Alpha 200i handheld or from a compatible device (active satellite subscription required).
- Connect wirelessly to the Garmin Explore™ app on your mobile device for additional texting and mapping needs. When paired with a compatible Garmin device, the Garmin Explore app shows real-time dog tracking information, allows you to save collections of dog tracks and replay these tracks to review details of your hunt. Additionally, you can use the Garmin Explore website and app to help manage tracks, routes and waypoints, and review statistics.
- Traditional compass mapping or the new Pro View feature that lets you locate your dogs at a glance. The system provides location updates every 2.5 seconds for up to 20 active dogs, so whether a dog is working in heavy cover or at a distance, a glance at the handheld gives you the ability to help pinpoint the dog’s location in near real time.
- Store and share more than 20 dogs in an inactive state, so if you rotate different dogs or hunt with different dog groups, you no longer need to add or remove dogs in the system prior to a hunt. When an individual dog or group of dogs is not in use, simply make the collar ID or group “inactive” to take it offline.
- Compatibility within the Garmin ecosystem, so you can track your pack from the road, your wrist, and other ways thanks to the Alpha 200i handheld's wireless connectivity with products such as Garmin DriveTrack™ 71 GPS navigator, rugged fēnix®, tactix® and Instinct® smartwatches, and other compatible devices.
- Use with the TT 15 dog devices; training modes include 18 levels of continuous and momentary stimulation, plus audible tone and vibration activated from the handheld. Effective range for tracking and training is over 9 miles (depending on terrain).
- A battery life for the Alpha 200i handheld of up to 20 hours or up to 15 hours with inReach technology enabled.
The Alpha 200i comes bundled with a TT 15 or T 5 dog device. If you have compatible TT 15 or T 5 series collars , you can purchase the Alpha 200i handheld separately. The Alpha 200i handheld is water-rated to IPX7
What's the Difference Between the TT 15X and T 5X Garmin Dog Collars
The main difference between the TT 15 / TT 15X and the T 5 / T 5X, is that the TT 15 models can be used for tracking and training, and the T 5 models are only for tracking.
Both devices are top-mounted, high-sensitivity GPS/GLONASS receivers and come in regular (up to 9 miles away) and mini models (up to 4 miles away).
The new 2022 T 5X and TT 15X are Garmin's latest dog GPS collars that have been upgraded to offer up to 80 hours of battery life, compared to the 16–30 hours that the previous models offered.
These Garmin dog collars are compatible with all of the Alpha GPS tracking handhelds—Alpha 10, 100, 200, and 200i (compatible with Garmin inReach technology), and the PRO 550 Plus and Astro® 430 handheld devices from Garmin.
The T 5 / T 5 Mini / T 5X Dog Device
Uses LED beacon lights activated from its compatible handheld device. The lights work in low-light conditions and at night, and are visible up to 100 yards away.
This tracking-only dog device with collar is tough enough to run wherever your dog runs, up to 9 miles away (4 miles for the T 5 Mini).
The TT 15 / TT 15 Mini / TT 15X Dog Device
Uses 18 levels of continuous and momentary stimulation, plus audible tone and vibration activated from Alpha® 100. Compatible with Astro® 430 and 320 for tracking only.
This tracking and training dog device with collar is tough enough to run wherever your dog runs, up to 9 miles away (4 miles with TT 15 Mini). The stimulation features let you train each dog separately—traditional stimulation allows you to make quick changes (low, medium or high) within a predetermined stimulation level (1-6), whereas linear stimulation allows progressively more stimulation from levels 1 to 18. You can remotely operate the LED beacon lights, built in to the dog device, to help locate your dog in low-light conditions.
The Garmin Alpha 100 Multi-Dog Tracker and Trainer has everything you want: track dogs and hunting buddies (up to 20 combined), customize your display and training, use tone or vibration, measure your dogs' stats, get Garmin topo maps, and up to 20 hours of battery life!
The Garmin Alpha 200i Multi-Dog Tracker and Trainer has everything you want ENHANCED with an enhanced price tag, of course. Get a larger display, easier operation, setup, and display, keep inactive dogs in the system, and get all the communication and safety benefits of inReach capability (subscription required).
T 5 / T 5 Mini / T5X Garmin Dog Collars are the devices you want to pair with your Gamin Alpha handheld GPS if you are only tracking your pack.
TT 15 / TT 15 Mini / TT 15X Garmin Dog Collars are the devices you want to pair with your Gamin Alpha handheld GPS if you plan to track and train your pack.