Garmin is a major player in the GPS market, often the first brand name people think of when considering GPS devices. Garmin products are highly successful in the world of fitness, and they have made an impact on the golf course too. A golf GPS watch is a great way to get an accurate yardage quickly and easily, and Garmin offers several models within this category. In this post, we are going to look at the Garmin Approach series. We’ll compare the Garmin Approach S10 vs S20 vs S60, so you can find the right device for you.
Garmin Approach S10 - The Base Model
We’ll start by highlighting the base model in this lineup, the Garmin Approach S10. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that the S10 is light on features, however, just because it comes in at the lowest price point. This is still a very capable watch that’s worth your consideration.
Features common to S10, S20 and S60:
- High-resolution display that’s readable in sunlight conditions
- Yardages to front, middle, and back of green
- Keep score directly on the watch
- More than 41,000 courses pre-loaded
- Auto-hole advance
- Layup and hazard distances
- Manual shot measuring
- Round summary
- Digital scorecard
- Waterproof up to 50 meters
Everything you would expect to find in a quality golf GPS watch is present here. If you aren’t looking for any of the additional bells and whistles included in higher-end models (more on that below), your search may be over right here. The Garmin Approach S10 delivers all of the basic information you need to keep your round on track from the first hole to the last:
Step It Up With The Approach S20
If you’re looking for a bit more. The Garmin Approach S20 offers additional features note available in the S10.
Added Features In The S20
- Automatic shot detection and tracking. Keep track of your shots throughout your game, including distance and location. Note that the S20 may have difficulty tracking putts and chips.
- Smartphone notifications. With your phone tucked away in your bag or golf cart, you can go on with your round knowing that your watch will notify you if an important message comes through.
- Club tracking. You can monitor your club usage and your average distances for each. Simply note the club used after each shot, and the watch will apply the distance.
- AutoShot round analyzer. Through Garmin Connect, you can get comprehensive tracking for all of your shots, distances, and locations. Dive into your game data so you can see what needs to improved (or show off to your friends).
- Activity Tracking. The S20 takes activity tracking up a notch. Where the S10 only offers an odometer, the S20 provides a pedometer, odometer and sleep monitor.
- CourseView automatic course updates. Get the latest course data to your watch with no effort from you.
- Compatible with TruSwing golf swing sensor. Connect your Garmin TruSwing Sensor to your watch for added convenience and metrics.
Go For The Top-of-the-Line With The Approach S60
For many players, the value presented with either the S10 or S20 is going to be too much to pass up. However, if you’d like a full-featured experience and don’t mind spending a little extra money, the Garmin Approach S60 is truly an incredible product.
Added Features In The S60
- Higher Display Resolution. Of the three devices, the S60 offers the highest resolution of 240 x 240 px.
- Full Color. Full-color touchscreen display gives you a birds-eye view of the course map, along with the relevant distances.
- Sleeker Look. The S60 offers a sportier look, based on the design of the Garmin Fenix 5.
- Touch Target. Find distance to a target by simply tapping it on the watch.
- Additional Activity Profiles. Ability to track performance in a variety of other sports, including running, cycling, swimming, rowing, skiing and more.
- Enhanced Activity Tracking. In addition to the S20 activity tracking features the Garmin Approach S60 offers vibration alerts, calories burned, step goals and more.
- Vibrating Notifications. Unlike the S20’s audio notifications, the S60 adds vibration to the mix.
- Elevation. The PlaysLike Distance feature calculates differences in play style needed based on elevation.
Garmin Approach S60 vs S20 vs S10 - Comparison Table
Here’s a quick, side-by-side overview of the key features in the Garmin Approach S60 vs S20 vs S10:
|Garmin Approach S10||Garmin Approach S20||Garmin Approach S60|
|Granite Blue||Midnight Teal||Premium Black Leather|
|Shipping||Free 2-Day Shipping @ PlayBetter.com||Free 2-Day Shipping @ PlayBetter.com||Free 2-Day Shipping @ PlayBetter.com|
|Returns||Free, 60-Day Returns @ PlayBetter.com||Free, 60-Day Returns @ PlayBetter.com||Free, 60-Day Returns @ PlayBetter.com|
|What's in the Box||Garmin Approach S10||Garmin Approach S20||Garmin Approach S60|
|Charging/data cable||Charging/data cable||Charging/data cable|
|Lens Material||N/A||chemically strengthened glass||Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3|
|Bezel Material||N/A||N/A||polymer or ceramic|
|QuickFit™ watch band compatible||N/A||N/A||included (22 mm)|
|Strap material||silicone||silicone||silicone or leather|
|Physical size||35.5 x 40.7 x 11.3 mm||37.4 x 47.6 x 11.3 mm||46 x 46 x 14.5 mm|
|Display size||0.9" x 0.9" (23 x 23 mm)||0.9" x 0.9" (23 x 23 mm)||1.2" (30.4 mm) diameter|
|Display resolution||128 x 128 pixels||128 x 128 pixels||240 x 240 pixels|
|Display type||sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)||sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)||sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)|
|Weight||1.2 oz (35.0 g)||1.5 oz (42.2 g)||standard: 1.8 oz (52 g)|
|premium: 2.2 oz (61 g)|
|Battery life||Watch mode: Up to 14 weeks||Smartwatch mode: Up to 8 weeks||Smartwatch mode: Up to 10 days|
|GPS mode: Up to 12 hours||GPS mode: Up to 15 hours||GPS mode: Up to 10 hours|
|Water rating||5 ATM||5 ATM||5 ATM|
|Memory/History||64 MB||64 MB||1 GB|
|GPS Time Sync||Y||Y||Y|
|Automatic daylight saving time||Y||Y||Y|
|Sunrise / Sunset||Y||Y||Y|
Daily Smart Features
|Connectivity||N/A||Bluetooth® Smart and ANT+®||Bluetooth® Smart and ANT+®|
|Connect IQ™ (downloadable watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps)||X||X||Y|
|Controls smartphone music||X||X||Y|
|Find My Phone||X||X||Y|
|VIRB® Camera Remote||X||X||Y|
|Smartphone compatibility||N/A||iPhone®, Android™||iPhone®, Android™|
|Compatible with Garmin Connect™ Mobile||X||Y||Y|
|Preloaded with 41,000 courses worldwide||Y||Y||Y|
|Yardage to F/M/B (distance to front, middle and back of green)||Y||Y||Y|
|Yardage to layups/doglegs||Y||Y||Y|
|Measures shot distance (calculates exact yardage for shots from anywhere on course)||Y||Automatic||Automatic|
|Stat tracking (strokes, putts per round, greens and fairways hit)||X||Y||Y|
|Full vector map||X||X||Y|
|Auto CourseView updates||X||Y||Y|
|Green View with manual pin position||X||Y||Y|
|Hazards and course targets||Y||Y||Y|
|Touch-targeting (touch target on display to see the distance to any point)||X||X||Y|
Activity Tracking Features
|Move bar (displays on device after a period of inactivity; walk for a couple of minutes to reset it)||X||Y||Y|
|Auto goal (learns your activity level and assigns a daily step goal)||X||Y||Y|
|Sleep monitoring (monitors total sleep and periods of movement or restful sleep)||X||Y||Y|
|Available gym activity profiles||N/A||N/A||Indoor Rowing|
Training, Planning and Analysis Features
|GPS speed and distance||X||X||Y|
|Customizable data pages||X||X||Y|
|Touch and/or button lock||X||X||Y|
|Activity history on watch||X||X||Y|
Heart Rate Features
|HR zones||X||X||yes (with compatible accessory)|
|HR alerts||X||X||yes (with compatible accessory)|
|% HR max||X||X||yes (with compatible accessory)|
|% HRR||X||X||yes (with compatible accessory)|
|Available run profiles||X||X||Running, Indoor Running|
|GPS-based distance, time and pace||X||X||Y|
|Foot pod capable||X||X||Y|
Outdoor Recreation Features
|Available outdoor recreation profiles||N/A||N/A||Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Skiing, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Rowing|
|Available cycling profiles||N/A||N/A||Biking, Indoor Biking|
|Time/distance alerts (triggers alarm when you reach goal)||N/A||N/A||Y|
|Speed and cadence sensor support (with sensor)||N/A||N/A||yes|
|Available swim profiles||N/A||N/A||Pool Swimming|
|Pool swim metrics (lengths, distance, pace, stroke count/rate, calories)||N/A||N/A||Y|
|Swim efficiency (SWOLF)||N/A||N/A||Y|
The Next Step
At this point, you should have a pretty good understanding of how these three watches compare to one another. So, which one is right for you? That’s going to depend on a few different factors. You’ll need to think about how much money you would like to spend on this purchase, and how many features you would like to utilize.
No matter which of the three you decide to purchase, one thing is clear. Each of these three models can make for a great companion on the course. You’ll have the accurate yardages you need to make good club selections and play the game with confidence. For a great price and excellent customer service, order your Garmin Approach watch of choice from PlayBetter today.