Why did we create this hefty SkyTrak golf launch monitor and simulator FAQ? Because it's a big investment in golf technology with a lot to wrap you head around. And whether you've already pulled the trigger or you're thinking about purchasing a SkyTrak system, you are bound to have questions. From setup to data to features to indoor vs outdoor to simulator software and so on—fill in the gaps with this SkyTrak FAQ and get on with having fun and playing better golf with one of the best golf launch monitors and simulators around!
SkyTrak Golf Launch Monitor and Simulator FAQ
Everything You Want to Know About the SkyTrak Launch Monitor and Golf Simulator!
SkyTrak Unit and Setup Questions
What's in the SkyTrak box?
- SkyTrak Launch Monitor
- USB Cable
- Wall Charger
- User Guide
- Software (via download)
What are the parts to the SkyTrak unit?
- Laser: Provides a red dot so you know exactly where to put the ball during use.
- Optics Lens: Reads your golf shot using photometric (camera-based) technology.
- Ready LED: Displays a green light when ready for shot.
- Wi-Fi LED: Lights up when Wi-Fi is successfully connected.
- Power LED: Displays a light when power is on.
- Power Button: The power switch for turning your SkyTrak Launch Monitor on and off.
- USB Port: Offers easy connection to your device for Wi-Fi connection.
What are the steps for setting up my SkyTrak?
You can set up SkyTrak in just 4 steps!
1. Charge your SkyTrak
Connect the Micro-USB charging cable to the charging port on the side of the SkyTrak; the bottom LED light will illuminate yellow indicating the unit is charging. Make sure to charge your SkyTrak for at least 6 hours prior to first use.
When the unit is fully charged and ready to operate, the bottom LED light will turn off.
- SkyTrak's Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery can operate for up to 5 hours after being fully charged.
- It's a good idea to keep your SkyTrak unit charged. Fully draining it can reduce the long-term life of the battery.
- Three red LED lights indicates that the battery is critically low and should be charged immediately.
- The SkyTrak may be connected to a PC via full USB to Micro USB cable (Included). This allows the computer to run a constant charge to the unit for all day use.
2. Download the SkyTrak App to Your Device
- iOS users—download the free SkyTrak App Software in the Apple App Store
- Android users—download the free SkyTrak App in Google Play
- PC users—download the SkyTrak PC application here
3. Register your SkyTrak launch monitor
Your new SkyTrak includes a 30-day trial in order to play with your SkyTrak right out of the box. The complimentary trial period gives access to practice sessions and basic settings. After the trial period you will need to complete the registration process and sign up for a SkyTrak membership plan that best suits your needs.
- Open the SkyTrak app and sign in with your SkyGolf account username and password. If you do not already have a SkyGolf account, choose the “Create Account” option.
- Your SkyTrak will need to be in Network Mode in order to complete the registration.
- Select the profile menu from the top right corner.
- Select “About.”
- Select “Register Device” button.
- Select “Yes, Register My Device.
- After receiving the message that your device is successfully registered, select done.
Note: Once SkyTrak has been connected with the software on your device, all 3 LED's will turn green and you will see the red laser dot appear on your desired hitting surface.
4. Pair SkyTrak with your Device (iPad or PC)
You can pair your SkyTrak to your iPad in one of two ways:
1. Through a Direct Wi-Fi connection
Follow the instructions in the SkyTrak software application to pair your iPad directly to SkyTrak via its Wi-Fi signal. Your iPad will NOT have an internet connection when connected like this.
2. Through a Home Network Connection
SkyTrak can use your Wi-Fi home network to pair with your iPad by connecting to your wireless network router, just like your other devices do. The SkyTrak unit will communicate with the software on your iPad through the router. And you will still be able to access to the internet on your iPad.
You can pair SkyTrak with PC in one of three ways:
1. Via a Direct Wi-Fi Connection on PC
Click on the Wi-Fi signal icon on your PC and select SkyTrak from the drop-down menu, click connect.
2. Via a Direct USB Cable Connection
Connect the micro USB cable to the SkyTrak device and a USB port on your PC
3. Via a Home Network Connection
SkyTrak can use your Wi-Fi home network to pair with your PC by connecting to your wireless network router, just like your other devices do. SkyTrak will communicate with the software on your PC through the router. And you'll still have access to the internet on your PC.
What accessories will I need to use my SkyTrak golf launch monitor and simulator?
If hitting inside, you will need a hitting mat and net.
- iOS: You will need to use an iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display), iPad Mini 3, or newer models.
- PC: You will need a PC running Windows 7, 8, or 10, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz or higher, 2GB RAM or higher.
- An optional laptop or tablet stand is recommended for convenience.
- Golf simulation add-on requirements vary by provider. See golf simulation plans for details.
What are the requirements to run SkyTrak software?
- SkyTrak for iOS: iPad Air and newer, iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display) and newer, iPad Pro and iPhone 6 and newer
- SkyTrak for Android: Google Pixel C, Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Samsung Galaxy S8. In general, we have seen best results with newer Android devices containing Octa-core (or dual quad-core) processors.
- SkyTrak for Windows: Windows 7/8/10, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz or higher, 2GB RAM or higher
- Third-party golf simulation software requirements vary by provider
How do I connect my SkyTrak to a projector?
- Use a Lightning Digital AV Adapter with HDMI cable to connect your iPad directly to your TV or projector
- Use an Apple TV or another AirPlay capable device. On your iPad, open the Control Center and choose AirPlay. Then select Apple TV and the iPad display will be transferred to the TV or Projector
- Use an HDMI cable to connect from your PC directly to your TV or Projector
How much space do I need to use my SkyTrak golf launch monitor?
These are the recommended minimum unobstructed dimensions for using your SkyTrak:
Ceiling height: Safe ceiling height varies and depends on your physical height and the length of your club.
Length: 10 feet (3,35m)
Width: 10 feet (3,35m)
Where should I place or how do I align my golf ball?
- Make sure SkyTrak is raised level with the hitting surface.
- Place SkyTrak parallel to your intended line of play. Depending on your set up, this may mean your target is not the center of the net.
- Once SkyTrak is properly connected to the app on your mobile device, it will display a red laser dot on your hitting surface. Place a clean, white golf ball on the red dot.
- The intended target line should be parallel to the SkyTrak for accurate shot simulation. Recommend using alignment mode to check the target line. Either mark your line of target on the ground or the net you are hitting into.
Tip: Use of alignment sticks/ golf clubs increases the accuracy of intended line of play.
Tip: Being too far above or below the hitting surface can affect consistent shot capture and ball flight data. Recommended laser distance 11 ½” to 12 ½”.
Tip: For optimum spin results, place the ball on the laser dot with some kind of marking on the golf ball, such as its brand logo, facing toward SkyTrak’s lens prior to hitting.
Can I clean the lens on the SkyTrak unit?
SkyTrak uses advanced optics that are located behind its lens. Scratches and dust or other issues that impact the lens quality may interfere with SkyTrak’s operation. Keeping the lens clean and scratch-free will ensure the measurement accuracy and longevity of your SkyTrak system.
Use a clean, damp cotton cloth to clean the lens in a single wipe. Do not use any chemicals to clean the lens.
Is the SkyTrak golf launch monitor and simulator waterproof?
No. Do not let it get wet.
What kind of balls can I use with the SkyTrak launch monitor?
It is recommended that you use a clean, white ball with a logo or a marked line. Set the ball up with the logo or line facing SkyTrak for better spin readings, whether indoors or outside.
What are the dimensions of the SkyTrak unit?
Dimensions: 5.75in L x 6.75in H x 2.5in W
How much does the SkyTrak unit weigh?
Weight – 1.7lbs
What kind of golf mat and net should I use with my SkyTrak golf launch monitor?
It is strongly recommended that you hit off of a mat or hitting area that is meant for golf. If you intend to use a net, use a durable net that is designed to handle the speeds of full speed golf shots.
Can I get a protective case for my SkyTrak golf launch monitor and simulator?
Using the SkyTrak Golf Launch Monitor Features
What technology does the SkyTrak golf launch monitor use?
The SkyTrak is a camera-based, or photometric, launch monitor. (Most are either camera-based Doppler-based.) Using photometric technology, SkyTrak captures high-speed images of the ball immediately after impact. The images captured are used to measure parameters necessary to render shot shape and carry distance.
How accurate is the SkyTrak launch monitor?
SkyTrak’s accuracy has been proven against the leading commercial launch monitors with excellent results for all 5 measured data parameters. SkyTrak ball flight model has been tested thoroughly through robot and human hit testing for measured carry/total and offline distances and again the results are very comparable to other leading launch monitors. SkyTrak ball flight is not affected by atmospheric elements like wind (unless selected in settings) as compared to other monitors outdoors, so there could be some slight differences based on different flight models and variables that would affect the final distance and yards offline. SkyTrak is extremely accurate and provides a realistic depiction of actual ball flight within close proximity to other leading launch monitors and real world results.
What launch data parameters are measured?
- Ball Speed
- Launch angle
- Back Spin
- Side Spin
- Side Angle
With this data, SkyTrak software is also able to accurately provide:
- Carry/Total Distance
- Flight path
- Club Head Speed
- Angle of Descent
How can I use the SkyTrak to improve my game?
SkyTrak provides the ability to see your shot data and track your progress over time. By understanding how your swing produces different ball data and ball flights, golfers can see how making swing changes or practicing various shots affects results. It is this feedback (positive or negative) that is necessary for improvement.
What features does the SkyTrak launch monitor have?
- Driving Range—hit and view live shots
- Multi-Color Shot Tracers—separates different clubs by unique shot-tracer color, allowing you to easily see shot dispersions with different clubs
- Numeric Display—option to view session data as a numeric table
- Competitions—long drive and closest to the pin contests
- Session History—lets you save and review past sessions
- Environmental Control—allows you to change environmental factors such as elevation or temperature
- Club Compare—a club fitting assessment to help compare two clubs
- Skills Assessment—a variety of skills tests to help benchmark performance
- Bag Mapping—an assessment to help dial in your distances and discover poor club gaps in your bag
- Wedge Matrix—an assessment to help dial in your wedge distances and half swings
- Golf Simulation—the ability to integrate with golf simulation software
How should SkyTrak be used outside?
We recommend hitting off a mat designed specifically for golf. Place the ball or the base of the tee on the red dot projected by the laser. If a mat is not available, we suggest hitting off a tee from the grass. Irons and wedges hit directly off the grass create dirt and grass particles from the divots that can make for inconsistent shot capture. Avoid direct sunlight into the system during use. Direct sun into the optic lens of SkyTrak can create problems for consistent shot capture. If available, please hit from a covered area . Use a clean, white ball with a logo or a marked line. Set the ball up with the logo or line facing SkyTrak for better spin readings, whether indoors or outside.
Will direct sunlight affect my SkyTrack unit?
SkyTrak performs well in overhead sun. Avoid direct sunlight into the system during use. Direct sun into the optic lens of SkyTrak can create problems for consistent shot capture. If available, please hit from a covered area.
How should the SkyTrak be placed on the hitting surface?
Make sure SkyTrak is positioned on the hitting surface or at the same height as the hitting surface. Make sure the unit is as level as possible.
How much space do I need to set up a Skytrak indoors?
Technically, as long as you have enough room to safely swing a golf club, you have enough room to use your SkyTrak system. This is an advantage over some other professional devices that require more space.
An open space that is about 10 feet wide and 9 feet high is recommended.
SkyTrak Home Golf Simulator FAQs
Can I play actual golf courses on SkyTrak?
Yes. In addition to the practice and game improvement system, SkyTrak has partnered with some of the leading golf game developers in the industry to provide you with a realistic golf simulation experience.
Currently, SkyTrak offers these simulation plans for iOS:
- TrueGolf E6 Connect
- WGT Golf
And the following simulation plans for PC:
- The Golf Club 2019
- TrueGolf E6 Connect
- Creative Golf
- Fitness Golf
- ProTee Play
What is the lowest cost option for SkyTrak simulator software?
If you have an iPad and don't need multi-player, WGT is only $199/year. If you have a PC, E6 Connect is $299/year. TGC 2019 is a better value for PC if you pay the one-time payment of $895. Otherwise, it is $479/year.
What is the best simulation software for the SkyTrak?
The top 3 are:
- WGT (iPad only)—$199/year
- E6 Connect (iPad and PC)—$299/year or $2500 one-time payment
- TGC 2019 (PC)—$479/year or $879 one-time payment
What are the pros/cons of WGT?
- provide helpful game-play settings such as multiple tee boxes, pin locations, green speeds, and wind conditions
- driving range
- closest to the pin challenges
- lowest cost
- iPad only compatible
- not multiplayer
- no extra game/skill challenges
What are the pros/cons of E6 Connect with SkyTrak?
E6 Connect pros:
- most game modes
- multiple game play formats
not as many courses as TGC 2019
What are the pros/cons of TGC 2019?
TGC 2019 pros:
- design your own course
- online events
- large course library
- no mini-games
- PC compatible only
How many courses do you get with WGT on SkyTrak?
WGT has the least amount of courses, 18. But they are some of the best, including Pebble Beach, Olympic Club, St. Andrews, Bethpage Black, Pinehurst #2, and Chambers Bay.
How many courses will I get with my SkyTrak simulator with E6 Connect software?
With E6 Connect, you can get 15 courses for iOS and 27 with a PC. Expansion packages are available if you want more courses.
How many courses are available with The Golf Club 2019?
100,000 premium and user-designed courses.
How do I connect SkyTrak to a monitor/projector?
Use a Lightning Digital AV Adapter with HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- Connect the adapter to your iPad.
- Connect the HDMI cable between the TV and the adapter
Use an HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your computer.
- Connect the HDMI cable between the TV.
Use a Lightning Digital AV Adapter with HDMI cable to connect to your projector.
- Connect the adapter to your iPad.
- Connect the HDMI cable between the projector and the adapter.
Use an HDMI cable to connect to your projector.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your computer.
- Connect the HDMI cable to the projector.
Use an Apple TV or another AirPlay- capable device.
- On your iPad, swipe up to open the Control Center and choose AirPlay.
- Select Apple TV and the iPad display will be mirrored on the TV.
TIP: For longer sessions, plug the Lightning charger into the adapter or directly into the iPad when using AirPlay