Learn, Compare, Buy, Explore.
Buy the Best Dive Computer GPS Watch of 2022. Comparing Garmin Descent G1/G1 Solar
vs Descent Mk2i, Mk2s
Garmin Descent Watch-Style GPS Dive Computers
Garmin Descent | Table of Contents
Watch Garmin Descent G1 Series Introduction Video
The Garmin Descent Mk2 Dive Computer Watch
The Descent Mk2 diving watch has an impressive 1.4" sunlight-visible display, a lens made of sapphire crystal, and a stainless steel bezel.
Here's what you can expect when you strap this watch-style dive computer on your wrist:
Dive Modes — Get multiple dive modes for single and multiple gas dives (including nitrox and trimix), gauge, apnea, apnea hunt, and closed-circuit rebreather.
Customizable Dive Modes — Add screens for each dive mode that features the fields you want to see.
Surface Multi-GNSS — Track your entry and exit points with advanced satellite connectivity.
Dive Log — Store and review data for up to 200 dives — and share via the Garmin Dive app.
InReach® Compatible — Pair with inReach satellite communicators and the inReach dive case.
When you're topside, you'll have access to advanced performance metrics, sports apps, and health-monitoring. Jump to our Garmin Descent product spec page for a full list of features.
The Garmin Descent Mk2S Diving Watch for Smaller Wrists
In Garmin speak, "S" stands for small, and generally signifies that their same advanced technology has been designed into a wearable for smaller wrists.
The Garmin Descent dive computer Mk2S is packed with all the same advanced features as the Descent Mk2, with a few design tweaks for those who prefer a smaller smartwatch on their wrist. Notable differences include:
- Gorgeous sunlight-readable 1.2" display
- Smaller, elegant design
- Available in 3 color schemes: light gold/sand, carbon gray/black, mineral blue/sea foam
What Is the Garmin Descent G1/G1 Solar Dive GPS Watch?
The rugged, watch-style Descent G1/G1 Solar dive computer has a sapphire lens, silicone bands, and an easy-to-read monochrome display. It's a more affordable Garmin dive watch option that offers two models in four colors: a standand model (Slate Gray or Powder Gray) and a solar-charging model (Black or Hurricane Blue).
The Descent G1/G1 Solar offers support for all types of diving—recreational, advanced, technical, free diving and even spear fishing. GPS/GLONASS/Galileo support allows divers to mark surface entry and exit points, so you can see exactly where you started and ended the dive. Store up to 200 dives on your wrist. Upload, share and review dives in the Garmin Dive™ smartphone app , and even search for dive sites all over the world.
HEALTH AND FITNESS
Track your activities with over 30 built in sports apps, advanced training features such as V02 Max so you can see how your body is adapting to training. 24/7 wrist-based HR, Pulse Ox, Body Battery™ energy monitoring, sleep score and more give you insights into your health and wellness telling you when to slow down and take breaks (this device is intended to give an estimate of your activity and metrics. Pulse Ox not available in all countries; it is not a medical device).
When paired with your compatible smartphone, enjoy smartwatch capabilities such as smart notifications, Garmin Pay contactless payments (with a supported country and payment network), and Connect IQ app personalization allowing for 24/7 wear.
Desecnt G1 — Get up to 25 hours in dive mode, 21 days in smartwatch mode, and 26 hours in GPS mode.
Descent G1 Solar — Get up to 25 hours in dive mode, 124 days in smartwatch mode (assumes all-day wear with 3 hours per day outside in 50,000 lux conditions) and 39 hours in GPS mode (assumes continuous use for entire period in 50,000 lux conditions).
The Garmin Descent Mk2i for Air-Integration
Monitor your gas and depth with this advanced air-integrated dive computer you can wear on your wrist. The Descent Mk2i watch-style dive computer is loaded with all the advanced dive features, acts as a multisport smartwatch when you're topside, and lets you monitor pressure for yourself and your buddies. Ideal for instructors and group dives, the Mk2i includes:
- Air Integration — Pair with Descent T1 transmitter for integrated pressure monitoring on up to 5 tanks via SubWave™ sonar data network.
- SubWave Sonar — Transmit data, such as remaining air time, air consumption rate, and more, for you and your group within a range of 10 meters.
Garmin Descent Dive Computer Watch Sizes
New Garmin Descent G1/G1 Solar GPS Dive Watch
- Case Size: 45.5 x 45.5 x 15.2
- Descent G1: 61 g
- Descent G1 Solar: 66 g
Garmin Descent Mk2/Mk2i Watch-Style Diving Computer
- Display: 1.4” (35.56 mm)
- Case Size: 52 x 52 x 17.8 mm
- Mk2 silicone band: 103.8 g
- Mk2i silicone band: 99.6 g; titanium band: 160.3 g
Garmin Descent Mk2S Dive Computer Watch
- Display: 1.2” (30.4 mm) diameter
- Case Size: 43 x 43 x 14.15 mm
- Weight: 60 g
Garmin Descent Battery Life
Garmin Descent G1 Battery Life
- Dive mode: Up to 25 hrs
- Smartwatch: Up to 21 days
- Battery saver watch mode: Up to 48 days
- GPS: Up to 26 hrs
- Max battery GPS mode: Up to 56 hrs
- Expedition GPS activity: Up to 27 days
Garmin Descent G1 Solar Battery Life
- Dive mode: Up to 25 hrs
- Smartwatch: Up to 21 days/4 months with solar
- Battery saver watch mode: Up to 48 days/Unlimited with solar
- GPS: Up to 26hrs/39 hrs with solar
- Max Battery GPS mode: Up to 56 hrs/Unlimitedwith solar
- Expedition GPS activity: Up to 27 days/Unlimited with solar
Garmin Descent Mk2/Mk2i Battery Life
- Smartwatch: Up to 16 days
- Battery Saver Watch Mode: Up to 50 days
- GPS: Up to 48 hours
- GPS + Music: Up to 15 hours
- Max Battery GPS Mode: Up to 96 hours
- Dive mode: Up to 80 hours
- Dive mode with Descent T1: Up to 32 hours
- Expedition GPS Activity: up to 35 days
Garmin Descent Mk2S Battery Life
- Smartwatch: Up to 7 days
- Battery Saver Watch Mode: Up to 21 days
- GPS: Up to 18 hours
- GPS + Music: Up to 6 hours
- Max Battery GPS Mode: Up to 32 hours
- Dive mode: Up to 30 hours
Garmin Descent GPS Dive Watch Colors
Garmin Descent G1 Colors:
Garmin Descent G1 Solar Colors:
Garmin Descent Mk2 Colors:
Garmin Descent Mk2S Colors:
- Light Gold bezel with Light Sand silicone band
- Carbon Gray DLC bezel with Black silicone band
- Mineral Blue bezel with Sea Foam silicone band
Garmin Descent Mk2i Colors:
Garmin Descent G1 vs Descent Mk2 — What's the Difference?
The Descent Mk2 series and the Descent G1 are the same when it comes to dive features, which include multiple customizable dive modes, a dive log, surface multi-GNSS and more.
The main way they differ is in price—the Mk2 series is $350+ more expensive—and that the Descent G1 offers a solar-charging option.
Design is another way they differ. The Descent G1 introduces a compact design into the dive lineup that is purpose built in both form and function for. It has a more rugged design for those who are both divers and lead active outdoor lifestyles.
The Descent Mk2 sports a stainless steel bezel and a metal rear cover for a more polished look, while the G1 is all fiber-reinforced polymer. The Mk2 also has a color display.
Finally, the Descent Mk2 is preloaded with TopoActive maps, while the Descent G1 is not.