Learn, Compare, Buy, Explore.
Buy 2022 Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Running Watch with Music Option! Now Available in 2 Sizes with More Training Features!
Buy Garmin Forerunner 255 Running Watch (45.6 mm)
Get high-end motivated with the mid-range priced Garmin Forerunner 255—now with HRV status, multi-band satellite tracking, and more!
Buy Garmin Forerunner 255S GPS Watch (41 mm)
This beloved Garmin running GPS watch just went next-level with a new slim-fitting size that's packed with even more awesome features!
Buy Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Music
Load your Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Music with your jams—easily download & store up to 500 songs on your watch and leave your phone out of it!
Watch a Garmin Forerunner 255 Review!
Now Showing: Garmin Forerunner 255/255S in-depth video review of what's new from our partner Dave at Chase the Summit.
SHOP GARMIN FORERUNNER 255/255S RUNNING GPS WATCH WITH MUSIC OPTIONS
Garmin Forerunner 255 — No Music
Garmin Forerunner 255 Music
Garmin Forerunner 255S Music
Garmin Forerunner 255 & 255S | Table of Contents
- Garmin Forerunner 255 Review by Chase the Summit
- 2022 Garmin Forerunner 255/255S—Understanding the Models
- Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Running Watch with Music
- The Garmin Forerunner 255/255S—What's New? A Lot!
- Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Battery Life
- Garmin Forerunner 255 Maps and Navigation
- Garmin Forerunner 245 vs 255/255S Running Watch Comparison
- Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Specs
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Comparisons & FAQs
- Garmin Forerunner 255 vs Forerunner 55 Running Watch for Beginners
- Garmin Forerunner 255/255S vs fēnix 7/7S/7X
- Garmin Forerunner 255 vs Forerunner 955
- Garmin Forerunner 255 vs Venu 2 Plus — What's the Difference?
- Forerunner 255/255S vs Garmin Instinct 2/2S
- Forerunner 255 vs Garmin epix (Gen 2)
- Garmin Forerunner 255 vs vivoactive 4 — Two Different Worlds
- Can I Use the Garmin Running Dynamics Pod with Forerunner 255?
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Review
from our partner, Chase the Summit—Watch It!
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Comparison
vs. fenix 7/7S/7X, epix (Gen 2), Forerunner 955/955 Solar, Venu 2 Plus & More ...
The Forerunner 255/255S vs the fenix 7
What You Need To Know:
- The fēnix 7/7S/7X has a touchscreen and button operation. This series offers 3 screen sizes: 1.2", 1.3", and 1.4".
- The Forerunner 255/255S is button operation only, but now offers 2 display sizes: 1.1" and 1.3".
- The fēnix 7 offers Garmin's most superior battery life range—both with and without solar-charching options.
- The cost of more superior battery life is, of course, more bulk and weight on your wrist. While it has less battery life, the Forerunner 255/255S is a sleeker, lighter watch for runners. Garmin did, however, double the battery life of these watches in smartwatch mode from 7 days to 12 and 14 days!
The Forerunner 955/955 Solar vs Forerunner 255/255S with Music Option
What You Need To Know:
- The Forerunner 955/955 Solar now features a touchscreen along with traditional button operation.
- The FR255 is still button-operation only.
- With and without solar-charging, the Forerunner 955 offers more battery life than the Forerunner 255/255S.
- These watches are very similar, but the FR 955 has a few more specified training tools, especially for triathletes and competitors, such as Training Load Focus, Primary Benefit, Garmin Live Events, and Strava Live Events.
- The Forerunner 955/955 Solar is available in one size only with a 1.3" display and 46.5 mm case.
- The Forerunner 255/255S offers two sizes: a 41 mm with 1.1" display and 45.6 mm case with 1.3" display.
- The Forerunner 255 does not have preloaded topo maps, Round-Trip Course Creator or Trendline Popularity Routing.
- However, both of these Garmin watches now come with multi-band GPS for superior tracking.
- While both watches offer on-watch music storage for phone-free listening, the FR955 stores twice as many songs—up to 1,000 on watch!
- The FR255/255S goes for $349.99 for the non music model and $399.99 for the music.
- While the FR955 costs $499.99 and the FR955 Solar is $599.99.
More on the Forerunner 955/955 Solar here.
The Garmin Forerunner 255/255S vs Venu 2 Plus
What You Need To Know:
- The Garmin Venu 2 Plus has an Brighter AMOLED touchscreen display—with button operation as well.
- The Forerunner 255/255S has a sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel display that is not a touchscreen, but now offers 2 sizes: 1.1" or 1.3" in display.
Calls/Texts On Watch
- The Venu 2 Plus is currently the only Garmin watch that allows you to make calls and texts from you wrist as long as it is paired with your phone.
- The Forerunner 255 running watch has quite a bit more training tools for more competitive or avid runners and triathletes.
- The Venu 2 Plus strikes a brilliant balance between smartwatch and fitness-tracking watch.
The Forerunner 255 vs Garmin epix (Gen 2)
What You Need To Know:
- The Garmin epix 2 has an Brighter AMOLED touchscreen display—with button operation as well.
- The Forerunner 255/255S has a sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel display that is not a touchscreen, but now offers 2 display sizes: 1.1" and 1.3".
- epix (Gen 2) — $900-$1000
- Forerunner 255/255S — $349.99; Forerunner 255/255S Music — $399.99
The FR 255/255S vs Garmin Instinct 2/2S
What You Need To Know:
- The Forerunner 255/255S with Music options offers 8 models with 2 sizes: 41 mm and 45.6 mm.
- The Instinct 2/2S series offers several performance-specific models like for Surf, Tactical, and Truck-Driving, along with 2 sizes available in some models.
- The Instinct 2/2S offers A LOT more battery life with solar-charging options. Garmin did, however, double the battery life of these watches in smartwatch mode from 7 days to 12 and 14 days!
The Garmin Forerunner 255/255S vs vivoactive 4
What You Need To Know:
- The Forerunner 255/255S has the training tools that competitive runners/triathletes want.
- The vivoactive 4 is an all-around fitness GPS watch with simialr health-monitoring and smart features, but not the hardcore training tools of the FR 255/255S.
2022 Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Models
The 2022 Garmin Forerunner 255 series is the mid-range running GPS watch that gives you more than your average wearable for runners!
Garmin has seriously upgraded these watches for runners with more training features—and even better GPS. But before we get to the good stuff, you'll want to understand the difference between the 4 new models. There are 8 watches in the new Forerunner 255 lineup, which are:
Standard Size Forerunner 255 ($349.99)
- Forerunner 255 (Slate Gray): 45.6 mm case, no on-watch music
- Forerunner 255 (Tidal Blue): 45.6 mm case, no on-watch music
Standard Size Forerunner 255 Music ($399.99)
- Forerunner 255 Music (Black): 45.6 mm case, music on watch (500 songs)
- Forerunner 255 Music (Whitestone): 45.6 mm case, music on watch (500 songs)
Smaller Size Forerunner 255S ($349.99)
- Forerunner 255S (Powder Gray): 41 mm case, no on-watch music
- Forerunner 255S (Light Pink): 41 mm case, no on-watch music
Smaller Size Forerunner 255S Music ($399.99)
- Forerunner 255S Music (Black): 41 mm case, music on watch (500 songs)
- Forerunner 255S Music (Whitestone): 41 mm case, music on watch (500 songs)
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Music— Best (Most Affordable) Running Watch with Music
The Forerunner 255/255S Music is the most robust and accurate running watch with music you'll find at this price point.
For $399.99, you can leave your phone at home with up to 500 songs stored on-watch. Just download all your must-have workout tunes from your Spotify, Deezer, or Amazon account, and you're good to go. And if you want, you can still control the music on your smartphone with your watch.
If music is not a requirement, for $50 less you'll still get all the high-end training tools this mid-range priced running GPS watch has to offer—along with Garmin's robust health-monitoring, activity tracking, and smart features, as well as accurate GPS.
Before you can download music or other audio files to your compatible watch from a supported third-party provider, you must connect to the provider using the Garmin Connect™ app.
Third-party music providers include:
You can also download music files from your computer.
The Garmin Forerunner 255/255S—What's New?
The 2022 Garmin Forerunner 255 and 255S have some sweet upgrades that'll keep you motivated and chasing your goals.
Built with a slim design and an always-on, full-color display that’s light on the wrist and easy to read even in direct sunlight—the Garmin Forerunner 255/255S is now available in 2 sizes: 46 mm and 41 mm. Plus, you can upgrade to the Music version in either size and store up to 500 training tunes on your wrist.
Morning report summarizes your sleep, HRV status and daily workout suggestion in one place as soon as you wake up.
Get ready for your next race with training tips, personalized daily suggested workouts, and completion time predictions based on course details, weather, and performance
View your entire week of daily suggested workouts, which adapt after every run to match your performance and recovery.
HRV status tracks your heart rate variability while you sleep, giving you greater insight into your overall wellness, recovery and training performance.
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S battery life is improved—with twice as many days in smartwatch mode as the Forerunner 245.
Multi-band satellite tracking on GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo networks gives you superior accuracy for how far and how fast you’ve run—even in challenging environments.
For a full Garmin Forerunner 255 review of all that's spectacular and new on this running GPS watch, be sure to check out the Chase the Summit video above!
Note: This device is intended to give an estimate of your activity and metrics.
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Battery Life
All these Garmin running watches pack enough power to get you through an ultramarathon in GPS-only mode!
Forerunner 255/255 Music Battery Life
- Smartwatch mode: Up to 14 days
- GPS-Only GNSS mode: Up to 30 hours
- All-Systems GNSS mode: Up to 25 hours
- All-Systems GNSS mode plus Multi-Band: Up to 16 hours
Forerunner 255S/255S Music Battery Life
- Smartwatch mode: Up to 12 days
- GPS-only GNSS mode: Up to 26 hours
- All-Systems GNSS mode: Up to 20 hours
- All-Systems GNSS mode plus Multi-Band: Up to 13 hours
Compare to Previous Forerunner 245 Battery Life
- Smartwatch Mode: Up to 7 days
- GPS mode with music: Up to 6 hours
- GPS mode without music: Up to 24 hours
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Maps and Navigation
Even though it is not preloaded with all the maps that come with high-end Garmin GPS watches like the fēnix 7 series, the epix (Gen 2), and the Forerunner 955, the Forerunner 255/255S still offers some highly useful navigation tools, including:
- Point-to-Point Nvaigation
- Bread Crumb Trail in Real Time
- Back to Start
- Distance to Destination
- GPS Coordinates
NEW to this Garmin running watch! Multi-band satellite tracking on GPS, GLONASS and Galileo networks gives you superior accuracy for how far and how fast you’ve run—even in challenging environments.
Truth is, the GPS-only mode is highly accurate for most road and trail running. However, if you are in the city with skyscrapers, a canyon, heavy trees, or next to a mountain—that multi-frequency positioning technology is a rockstar!
Plus, Garmin has added a barometric altimeter to the Forerunner 255/255S—so you can now know floors climbed and get elevation profiles!
Garmin Forerunner 245 vs 255/255S Running Watch Comparison
The Forerunner 255 is the evolution of Garmin's popular Foreunner 245, and we think you're going to be surprised by the many cool new features and software upgrades on this solid GPS running watch with a compelling price point! So let's dive into the differences of the Foreunner 245 vs 255!
First off, the Forerunner 255/255S offers two sizes. The standard FR255 sports a 1.3" display with a 45.6 mm case and weighs only 49 g. The FR255S is a sleeker, lighter watch (as denoted by the "S") with a 1.1" display with a 41 mm case and weighs a superlight 39 g! These options, coupled with the minimalistic, clean design of the Forerunner 255/255S make this a sleek running GPS watch!
To the popular FR245 features, the 2022 Garmin Forerunner 255/255S adds:
- Morning report: Receive the day’s weather and daily workout suggestion, as well as information about last night’s sleep and HRV status. The report can even be customized so athletes can view only the details they want to see.
- Full triathlon support: Switch up a workout routine with triathlon and multisport activity profiles. During races and brick workouts, easily toggle between sports with a single button press.
- Race widget: View race prep information—including a race day-specific performance prediction, race day weather and a countdown clock—all in one widget. Once a race is scheduled, daily suggested workouts will adapt based on an athlete’s race plans.
- HRV status: Track heart rate variability while sleeping to get a better handle on recovery and an overall wellness picture.
- Garmin Pay™ contactless payments: Breeze through checkout lines by paying for purchases right from the wrist.
- Multi-band GPS: Garmin’s reliable GPS accuracy just got better. By enabling multi-band, multi-satellite-system tracking on the watch, athletes can receive more accuracy in their run data, even in the most challenging environments.
- Native running power: When using a Running Dynamics Pod or HRM-Pro™ (sold separately), receive real-time metrics of how much power is being exerted on a run, built into the watch—no app or additional software required.
- Updated Garmin Elevate 4.0 optical heart rate sensor.
- Updated interface with new watch faces—plus now you can adjust the backlight brightness from 0 to 100%.
- On the Foreunner 255/255 Music, you can now veiw up to 6 data fields to get more customized info at a glance. Before it was only 4.
- Barometric Altimeter sensor for floors climbed and elevation profiles!
The Forerunner 255/255S was built upon several of the fantastic features of the Forerunner 245/245 Music. You will still get:
- The option to upgrade to on-watch, offline music for $50 more. While you can control your phone music through any Forerunner series watch, the Forerunner 255 Music and 255S Music allows you to store up to 500 songs on your watch that you can easily download from services like Amazon and Spotify.
- Solid Garmin training tools, inclduding: Race Predictor, Recovery Advisor, Training Status, Training Load, Training Effect, Finish Time, Virtual Partner, PacePro, Race Predictor, and Running Dynamics with a compatible Garmin Running Pod or HRM strap.
- Garmin's sweet suite of health monitoring features, like wrist-based heart rate, Pulse Ox, advanced sleep, Fitness Age, Body Battery, Women's Health, and more!
- Smart notifications and safety tracking.
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S Specs
Forerunner 255/255 Music Display: 1.3" always-on, full-color display that is easy to read even in direct sunlight.
Forerunner 255S/255S Music Display: 1.1" always-on, full-color display that is easy to read even in direct sunlight.
Forerunner 255/255 Music Physical Dimensions: 45.6 x 45.6 x 12.9 (mm)
Forerunner 255S/255S Music Physical Dimensions: 41 x 41 x 12.4 (mm)
Forerunner 255/255 Music Weight: 49 g
Forerunner 255S/255S Music Weight: 39 g
See the full Garmin Forerunner 255/255S with and without Music product specs here.
Garmin Forerunner 255/255S vs Forerunner 55 Running Watch for Beginners
Two Great Garmin running watches with different experiences for people who like to run!
The Forerunner 55 is Garmin's most easy-to-use running watch! Press a button and go on your walk or run—with more extensive features to grow into.
Both of these Garmin watches for runners offer Garmin Coach, VO2 Max, Race Predictor, Finish Time, and Recovery Advisor.
Beyond the Forerunner 55, the 2022 Forerunner 255/255S offers more training tools like Training Status, Training Load, Training Effect, Virtual Partner, and estimated VO2 Max on trail runs. Plus, the FR255 series has to size options with on-watch music storage options as well. The FR55 can control your smartphone music.
Upgrades on the Forerunner 255/255S include Morning Report, HRV Status, and multi-band satellite tracking on GPS, GLONASS and Galileo networks for superior tracking in the most challenging environments! Plus Traithlon Activity profile and barometric altimeter for elevation stats.
Check out the Garmin Forerunner 55—and great watch for beginners—here!
Compare the products specs for these Forerunner running watches here.
Does PlayBetter Offer the Garmin Running Dynamics Pod?
When using a Running Dynamics Pod or HRM-Pro™ monitor (sold separately), the Forerunner 955 GPS watch measures crucial running metrics such as cadence, stride length, ground contact time and balance, and more!
If you prefer to run without a chest strap, the Garmin Running Dynamics Pod has an accelerometer in the module that measures torso movement to calculate these 6 running metrics: cadence, ground contact time balance, stride length, vertical oscillation, vertical ratio, and ground contact time.
If you prefer a chest strap, PlayBetter has Garmin heart rate monitor chest straps for sale:
Check them out to get even more out of your training!